"With the twelfth pick of the 2011 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings selected .... Christian Ponder, quarterback, Florida State."
1. Hey, did you know Christian Ponder is now your quarterback of the future? Yup. At pick #12, you don't fuck around. He has now become our Matthew Stafford, Aaron Rodgers, or Jay Cutler ... wait ... no, not that last one, but you get the idea. Think he's up for it?
2. Did anyone tell the Vikings they're not actually drafting Joe Mauer out of Florida State? He's still with the Twins, although you'd never be able to tell since they suck balls too.
3. Here's a quick fact: The other two quarterbacks taken in the top 20 picks from the ACC? Matt Ryan and Phillip Rivers.
4. There is absolutely no way that Ponder is the guy they wanted at 12 all along. No way. He was projected as a solid second round pick with some basic talents that could help a team out like Kyle Orton or Chad Henne. He was taken higher than Aaron Rodgers. GTFO. I think once Locker was off the board for the Vikings they panicked because by the time 12 popped up three QBs had already been nabbed and they felt they had to get their guy. The trick was on them, however, as there weren't any other QBs taken in the first round, not even by Washington, who needs one more than we do.
5. It warms my heart to see Ryan Mallett drop to the second round. "Don't draft me, bro!"
6. Picks that would have been better at #12 include, but are not limited to: Prince Amukamara, Da'Quan Bowers (his knee is fucking fine, get over it), Nick Fairley.
7. The Vikings drafted for need WAY over best player available. That's a retarded move for a needy franchise. Do they honestly think there wouldn't be a stop gap quarterback available in free agency or through trade this summer sometime? McNabb, Palmer, Orton, Young, Silky Garrard, Jimmy Clausen, I mean come on.
8. Purple Jesus is going to get crucified all over again trying to run against the Detroit Lions front line. That team is fucking wild.
9. Christian Ponder has an injury history worse than Wolverine from X-Men, and he unfortunately doesn't have the healing factor like him (BOOM, *NERD!*). Playing behind our offensive line sure as shit isn't going to make matters better for him, especially with Suh and Fairley eye fucking him across the snap count.
10. Ponder wore number 7 in college ... so ... Tarvaris is gone?
11. Frazier and Spielman spoke after the pick was made and make it sound like they got the guy they really wanted. Naturally, there was a lot of requests from fans that they should have traded back but it apparently sounds like there weren't any trade partners on draft night at that position. Really? I find that weird that no one else wanted to nab Ponder at 12!
12. Here's a really good write up about Ponder from the Sun Sentinel looking at his history, offensive success and much more. If you need a morning snap-shot of who the hell this guy is, I'd look here.
13. Other Christians I would have taken on the team: Christian Okoye, Christian Bale, Christian Slater, and Christian Guzman. But that's just me.
So how upset or happy is everyone today? Let's discuss this latest downfall of the Vikings in the comments and prep ourselves for more wasted picks in the second round! Just when you got all excited about football being back, they have to go and do something like this.
honestly i think the vikings are drafting on POSITIONS NOT NEEDED. a fucking tight end in the second round AND he went to fuck face notre dame? WTF MORE WHITE PEOPLE!!! did toby teach us nothing?
So far this draft has crushed my soul and almosu assured me we will go 0-16 and then somehow fail to take andrew luck.
Get ready for AP dive right (1 yard gain), AP dive right (2 yard gain), AP dive right (3yard loss) FUCKING PUNT!
At this point we should just draft a new statidum.
@lockout2011 To be fair to the Vikings for once, Rudolph is a huge BEAST and was a great value pick. I like it much better than Ponder at #12.
@CollegeWolf Ive since calmed down a bit and I do see the value in this guy. I don't know iof hes a beast and I do agree there is a need at tight end but not until after 2012. This guy had better be a blocking TE or else what's the point.
With such glaring holes at OL, D line, Corner, Safety, and like 4 other key areas I just felt TE was honestly such a back burner issue. I hear this guy could make us resemble the Patriots style of offense which makes my pants tight, but without a solid OL we are still basically fucked.
Yes....there are for sure no quick fixes.
@lockout2011 Good points. I've been trying not to think about how absurdly terrible our OL is. That's definitely a big concern of mine. Not sure what's going to happen with that. Ponder will get destroyed next year. Or maybe we'll sign Jeff George to take a year of beating to let Ponder learn.
@lockout2011 All our TE's are FA's in 2012. Jimmy K is 34 or 35. I don't think TE is an immediate need, and people from Notre Dame are usually douchebags. But from what I've read he was BPA ( I missed the draft last night). They still need to get some OL line help. I don't see or expect a quick fix for this team at this point. It's going to take a combination of the draft and free agency, and I'm expecting this next season to be really, really painful. This is not the same team as 2009. Production and performance has decreased with age. Except for Purple Jesus who will be a 98-year-old stiff-arming some bastard Packer defensive back.
I will for the record say I don't hate Christian Ponder as a Viking, I just don't really jive turkey with him at #12. Whatever.
@PJD Mallet, Dalton & Kalwhateverthefuck better be gone before we pick in the second. 2nd pick better be unreal!
Why would we want the best pure cover corner in the entire draft (Amukamura, who was available), or one of the two best interior defensive lineman (Fairley, who was available), or one of the top 4 or 5 best pass rush defensive lineman (Bowers, who was available), or the No. 2 offensive tackle (the mountain from Colorado, or the guy from Boston College, both of which who were available). It's not like we needed help on pass defense, on the defensive line, or on our offensive line, right?
There are too many needs on this team to draft the best that's left at a needed position rather than the best available on the board period. Purple Jesus is the most talented guy we have, and best hope to gain 25+ total yards a game and maybe end up in the right end zone (I have no doubt the Lions defense will put Ponder or Webb on their ass in our own). I would have rather seen them get him some OL help for AD. I think they hit the panic button, but I'm putting some trust in Spielman based on past draft performance. It is what it is. I hope he surprises us.
@Qommie only faith I have is what our last 2 first round offensive picks have done... Ponder better be the offensive rookie of the year!
Here's the Pee King's thoughts:
12. Minnesota: Christian Ponder is, quite simply, the classic example of a quarterback who was overpicked in the first round, the way we'd heard so many of them would be. But the Vikings obviously figured they liked Locker and Ponder, and they couldn't trade down to gather currency in rounds two or three. So they sat at 12 and picked a developmental quarterback they felt they had to have. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/04/29/2011-nfl-draft/1.html)
AND the Williams Starcaps case has finally been finished. Looks like he'll be suspended the first 4 games of the next season. Doomed.
This pick is going to end up as bad, or worse, than Kahn taking Jonny Flynn at #6 in a completely loaded NBA draft. Reach for this Ponder clown with so much other talent on the board. Not to mention we could have gotten a QB with comparable, or better, talent in the 2nd round.
@CollegeWolf I don't follow basketball.... but I guess that picking Jonny Flynn is brutal.
HOW DID WE NOT TAKE PRINCE! BUILD WITH TALENT! DON'T REACH! FUCKING BIG LESLIE!
Musgrave better be a fucking genius.
@mike from Winnipeg Wow. I'm envious that you don't know anything about Jonny Flynn. Your mind is a TWolves blank slate. That is awesome. Seriously. Lucky man.
Oh, and he was invited to the draft in New York City, but he said that he didn't go to it because he didn't think any teams would pick him in the first round. Goddamnit Vikings. You SUCK.
@CollegeWolf So excited to cheer for my new team... the Detroit Lions.
OH... btw... fucking Atlanta Fucking Falcon's offense looks UNREAL.
@mike from Winnipeg Falcons trade was sooooooo ballsy. I admire them for it.