After many long months sweating it out to a dance montage in Florida after being drafted by the Minnesota Vikings, quarterback Christian Ponder made the 22 hour trip up to Minneapolis in a cramped U-haul truck only to walk out into a heat wave that's left the state hotter than black cat in heat outside in this heat wave. Make sense? Good.
He traveled to Larry Fitzgerald's Annual Training Camp for NFL Players Who Want to Play Good and Do Other Stuff Good Too and put in some spot duty. Noticeably, we had several news outlets like KFAN sit on the sidelines and take some creep-worthy video of Ponder going through some passing drills, which is what we see above. It should be noted that I'm not sure if creepy video behind the bushes is any better or worse than straight pictures, but I am also grateful that this content was of passing drills instead of his conditioning drills, which would be super boring. Shuttle Runs! Exciting!
Notes from the video:
- I guess Shanko is out there somewhere, but I wasn't really paying attention. Normally, you'd think you'd notice the guy dragging an anaconda behind him. Not today!
- Brian Robison was also there working out. I can happily report that his dreaded cornrows are gone and have instead been replaced by a lovely long mane of hair not too dissimilar to a budding lion cub. I thoroughly approve of this course of action. When defensive ends have longer hair, they just play better. It's already been proven.
- This is a pretty significant video, considering since the Vikings drafted Ponder fans haven't REALLY had a solid opportunity to look at our "property" and analyze him. Remember the days of rookie OTAs when you'd see the new draft picks in purple for the first time? It was pretty sweet. This year has sucked because we missed out on that and early critiquing, which is probably what will make this rookie class better than all others. Stupid fans.
- Ponder has a bit more zip on his thrown ball than I was anticipating. I don't know what I was expecting, I guess ... maybe more of a soft duck that floats to the receiver ... but on a clear path, straight away throw, he's able to snap it in there pretty good. Also, I am certain there is a sexual innuendo in there somewhere, you just have to find it. Oh! That might be another one!
- The early concern are whether or not that zip can carry to the passes outside the hashes. On several throws to the sidelines the receiver ends up dropping the ball, having to extend their Go-Go-Gadget legs to reach it, or it sails away from them completely. This throw, and this throw alone it seems, tends to dictate the success of an NFL quarterback more often then not. It's a little troublesome, and yes I'm judging a guy that hasn't even signed his rookie contract yet.
- Also noticeable is Pondexter's feet work and how he performs with a guy in his face. Hey, I get it ... we all get a little stage fright when a dude is right next to you. But Pondexter is going to have to step his game up if he doesn't want the Vikings to end up at the bottom of the NFC North this year (we will). There's nothing revolutionary war here that is shown, pretty standard three step drops, but even so when a faux-rusher comes at him it seems some of his passes went high. How is Percy supposed to catch anything thrown five feet above the ground?
What're your thoughts?
I like the new hair look by Robison. If he would've had that "do" when casting for Thor, he might've got the lead! HaHa
fuck pondexter is the champ of the 10 yard out... but Tahi wants to know if he can throw the 0 yard flats pass.
Also the fact that most passes over 10 yards out were no where near the receivers I am going to put that on the receivers not being fast enough for pondexters rocket like arm... who are these jokers... oh its Larry Fitz... who is this smeeg?
Safe to say Pondexter still hasn't seen our offensive line if he showed up to Camp Fitz to prepare for playing behind that piece of shit. A lesser man would be sitting in front of a laptop somewhere writing a blog.
And I can't believe it took so long to get this many shirtless men on the Purple Jesus Diaries.
@MarrisaZ If I were a chick, I'd do him. Even then, I still might. I mean.... Ooops, I've said too much.
@Qommie Boner alert...
@Qommie Why hello erection!
@Qommie Need more nekked guys on this blog.
@MikeFromWinnipeg Why would you throw the ball with Purple Jesus on your team? I thought this was all just an elaborate front for our real offensive scheme.
@Qommie I really should have linked you to the photo gallery on KFAN of the workouts. Every single guy out there was shirtless EXCEPT for Pondexter. What a fucking NERD!
But yes, you can bet that I spent a lot of time right-clicking, saving as ... when I found that gallery.
@Qommie When I made mention of 10 yard outs I clearly meant that this would be a pass to Purple Jesus... the mention of Tahi was a joke... we all know he can't catch the 0 yard pass...heck we know he can't block either.
@PJD In all seriousness, this video had me thinking back to the past 2 years of watching Grandpa move around the pocket. Pondexter looks quick. It's like Purple Jesus vs. White Running Back. If we do end up starting him or Joe Webb, I have faith that our QB won't die this year. But I see that Rhett Bomar showed up today. Now the real QB battle can begin.
@CollegeWolf@lakeville I still choose to blame Brad for that.
@Lakeville Mikey @MikeFromWinnipeg Hey man, cut him some slack. He's only got 10 fingers and toes, you know. Its tough to count both fingers AND toes...
@MikeFromWinnipeg "the mention of Tahi was a joke... we all know he can't catch the 0 yard pass...heck we know he can't block either."
Or count to 11